Sony Optical Disk Archive Drives & Libraries
The NEW PetaSite line is all optical! Optical Disk Archive (ODA) is an optical disc-based storage system based on Blu-ray technology but inherits some key attributes from Sony's Professional Disc (XDCAM®) format. This system involves the use of multiple bare discs con tainted within a very robust cartridge. ODS has storage longevity of over 50 years! ODA provides superior data integrity in harsh adverse environments providing a compelling reason for addition to your secondary storage plan. Design considerations include:
- The platform is designed to be stable at high temperature and humidity (104°F/85% humidity).
- ODA media is designed for stability during Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) events
- ODA media is designed to withstand exposure to water
- ODA media is designed to withstand exposure dust
- Sony guarantees intergenerational compatibility, which reduces future media consumption and avoids the risk of data corruption associated with frequent data migration.
Teradactyl views this technology as a more robust way to retain long term backups and/or archive information that can withstand significant unforseen environmental consequences. Example ODC1500R Cartridge Summary:
- 1.5TB Write-Once Mass Storage Media with Proven Optical Disc Technology. The cartridge contains 12 discs with file format UDF (Universal Disk Format). Each cartridge allows random access to files and high speed data retrieval.
- High Reliability, & Durability, Optimized for Near-Line and Long-Term Storage. The non-contact read/write technology of optical disc enables high reliability. Optical disc technology is extremely robust with a media archival life estimated at 50 years*, substantially longer than other storage media in the market. The cartridge is designed to be highly durable and resilient in a wide range of environmental conditions. This enables you to store the media in the typical office environment and does not require special climate controlled conditions.
- Simple, Low Total Cost of Ownership. A key benefit of the Optical Disc Archive System is that it does not require frequent data migration. This simple solution can reduce the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) and protect your valuable data, minimizing data corruption that can typically occur during data migrations, providing cost savings.
- Convenient, Efficient Asset Management. The media has a built-in “Cartridge Memory” that provides seamless integration between the ODC media and Optical Disc Archive drive by storing basic content recording information. With the future release of application software, the cartridge memory feature will allow users to identify the contents of the media with mobile devices for efficient asset management, such as cartridge tracking and digital asset inventory control.
*Estimated average archival life based on internal acceleration testing.Optical Disk Archive Additional Resources
Teradactyl is a Software Affiliate with Sony in the U.S. and a Software Partner with Sony in Europe. Sony, PetaSite, and Optical Disk Archive are logos and/or trademarks of Sony Corporation in the US and other countries.